Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Tuesday

Fight AIDS concert to feature two raging homophobes by John in DC - 7/11/2006 08:53:00 PM
Interesting discussion of this by Terrance and Keith.Of course, this isn't the first time good people have used bad people to push their cause. The ONE campaign last year, led by Bono, used Pat Robertson to help push its cause. And the AIDS community has used Orrin Hatch to help get AIDS legislation passed - hell, even Jesse Helms started to get involved in the international AIDS crisis.On a gut level, I obviously agree with Terrance and Keith - it's just downright creepy using two homophobes to help fight AIDS. But then again, I'm curious what you all think about the examples I gave above, about Hatch and Helms and Robertson. Is it ever okay to use a bad guy to help you do good? Would it be okay to get the religious right to help us protect the environment (a serious possiblity, by the way, exists for us working with them on this issue). It's an interesting, and difficult, question. Your thoughts?

Novak, Rove and CIA spokesman all appear to have given different stories about Valerie Plame leak by John in DC - 7/11/2006 07:00:00 PM

Check this out from Novak:
Special Prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald has informed my attorneys that, after two and one-half years, his investigation of the CIA leak case concerning matters directly relating to me has been concluded. That frees me to reveal my role in the federal inquiry that, at the request of Fitzgerald, I have kept secret....When Fitzgerald arrived, he had a third waiver in hand -- from Bill Harlow, the CIA public information officer who was my CIA source for the column confirming Mrs. Wilson's identity. I answered questions using the names of Rove, Harlow and my primary source....I have revealed Rove's name because his attorney has divulged the substance of our conversation, though in a form different from my recollection. I have revealed Harlow's name because he has publicly disclosed his version of our conversation, which also differs from my recollection.Isn't that interesting.

No comments: